An early morning fire on Tuesday gutted about 10 shops in Bariga area of Lagos.
Affected were shops at 43 and 45 Shogbamu Street.
No life was however lost.
Mr Michael Akindele, the General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEPA), who made the disclosure in a statement, said nine shops and a tenant’s room were destroyed.
He added that goods worth millions of Naira were burnt inside the shops.
“No life was lost due to the quick intervention of the agency through its response unit.
“The agency received an alert via the Customer Response Manager (CRM) on a fire incident at 43 Shogbamu Street, New Garage, Bariga, Lagos.
“This prompted immediate activation of the agency’s Emergency Response Team (ERT) and the Lagos State Fire Service from Ilupeju and Ikeja Fire Stations.
“The Lagos State Ambulance Service and the Nigeria Police were also called to the scene.
“Preliminary investigation carried out by the ERT at the scene of the incident revealed that the inferno was caused by an electricity surge from an electronics shop.
“The timely intervention of the Lagos State Fire Service and other emergency responders curtailed the spread of the inferno to other buildings in the area.
“There was neither loss of life nor injury sustained by anyone,’’ he said.
Akindele advised the residents of Lagos to always ensure that all electrical appliances were switched off after the close of work or that not in use at home.
He also warned against the use of naked cables and illegal connection.