Report: More Republicans want Trump dumped

505 0
505 0
Donald Trump: growing unpopular within his party
Donald Trump: growing unpopular within his party. Photo: Washington Examiner

A broad swath of Republicans have penned an open letter to the Republican National Committee requesting that Donald Trump no longer receive money to help with his presidential campaign, the Washington Examiner has reported.

The  newspaper said the letter urges RNC Chairman Reince Priebus to immediately stop spending any of the national party’s available funds on Trump and instead funnel more money into congressional races across the country.

“We believe that Donald Trump’s divisiveness, recklessness, incompetence, and record-breaking unpopularity risk turning this election into a Democratic landslide, and only the immediate shift of all available RNC resources to vulnerable Senate and House races will prevent the GOP from drowning with a Trump-emblazoned anchor around its neck,” reads the letter, which goes on to claim Trump’s chances of making it to the White House are “evaporating by the day.”

Nearly 20 of the individuals behind the letter previously worked for the RNC, while other signatories include former members of Congress who have publicly declared their opposition to Trump.

Stay abreast of the latest developments from nation’s capital and beyond with curated News Alerts from the Washington Examiner news desk and delivered to your inbox.

One of the co-signers, former New Hampshire Sen. Gordon Humphrey, had recently urged Priebus to call a meeting of RNC members and invoke Rule 9, which allows Republicans to replace their existing presidential nominee in the event of a death, resignation or other circumstance.

The letter is currently being circulated to high-profile Republicans and will be sent to Priebus next week. It had garnered more than 70 signatures by Thursday from “people who want the party to protect its majorities in the Senate and the House,” according to longtime GOP operative Andrew Weinstein.

Trump finalized a joint fundraising agreement with the RNC in mid-May, shortly after he became the presumptive Republican presidential nominee. The billionaire raised $80 million last month, 80 percent of which came through direct donations to his campaign while $16 million was raised at fundraisers organized by the RNC and can be dispersed to help with congressional races.

A spokesman for the RNC did not return the Washington Examiner’s request for comment.

It was the second letter written by Republicans to denounce their presidential candidate.

The New York Times on 9 August published another letter by fifty senior Republican national-security officials, who said Donald Trump if elected in November “would be the most reckless president” in American history.

The party henchmen  vowed never to back his candidacy.

According to the letter, Donald Trump is “dangerous” and poses a serious “risk” to American stability and security.

Among the signatories are former CIA and NSA director Michael Hayden, former secretaries of homeland security Tom Ridge and Michael Chertoff, as well as former deputy secretary of state Robert Zoellick.

 


Join the Conversation