By Prudence Arobani
The UN Secretary-General António Guterres strongly condemned Monday’s suicide attacks at internally displaced persons camps in Borno.
Guterres, in a statement issued by Farhan Haq, UN Deputy Spokesman on Tuesday in New York, regretted that the Boko Haram terrorists were still argeting victims who had already fled their homes.
The suicide attacks on Monday reportedly targeted the two camps for internally displaced persons near Maiduguri.
“These terrorist acts are targeting people who had already fled their homes as a result of Boko Haram violence,” Guterres said.
The secretary-general extended his condolences to the people and Government of Nigeria for the loss of life.
The UN chief wished “a quick recovery to those injured and calls for those responsible for this heinous act to be swiftly brought to justice”.
Guterres reiterated “the UNs support to the Government of Nigeria in its fight against terrorism and violent extremism in full observance of international humanitarian, human rights and refugee law”.
The Nigerian Army on Tuesday said it had foiled eight suicide bomb attacks in Maiduguri in the past two weeks. (NAN)