50 Dapchi schoolgirls yet to return, says Yobe government

869 0
869 0
Dapchi schoolgirls during the headcount on Tuesday. 

In an update, the Yobe State government on Wednesday said 50 out of 926 Dapchi schoolgirls, whose school was attacked by Boko Haram on Monday have not reported back to school.

The government doubted whether any of the girls at Government Girls Secondary School in Dapchi,  had been abducted by the attackers, saying there was no credible information to back the story of abduction.

Abdullahi Bego, Director General on press affairs to the governor in Damaturu said:

“The Yobe State Government is working with the Nigerian Army and other security and law enforcement agencies to ensure that all students in the school are fully accounted for.

“As the public is aware, the students were helped by their teachers to escape through the night to the surrounding bush and villages as the terrorists stormed the town last Monday.

“Out of the 926 students in the school, over 50 are still unaccounted for as of the time of this statement.

“However, the Yobe State Government has continued to receive information about some of the girls being found in the general area to which they escaped.

” The State Government is coordinating with the army and law enforcement agencies to ensure that those girls are returned safely.

“The Yobe State Government has no credible information yet as to whether any of the schoolgirls was taken hostage by the terrorists.

The statement said Gov Ibrahim Gaidam was saddened and outraged by the unfortunate event.

” The governor has directed that all relevant personnel and agencies work closely with the army and other security organisations to address the situation.

“The Yobe State Government assures parents and the school community that it will do everything necessary to ensure that all the missing girls are found and returned to their school and families and that security is improved in the area.


Join the Conversation