A 30-year-old man, Michael Rotondo, has been ordered by a New York Court to vacate his parents house after his parents sued him for refusing to move out after several quit notices.
The parents who have housed their 30 year old son for 8 years resorted to suing him after all diplomatic means and even offer of cash assistance failed.
According to the parents, the man had been served 5 quit notices, after the last notice, the 30 year old “boy” insisted that he is entitled to a six-months notice.
“I just wanted a reasonable amount of time to vacate, with consideration to the fact that I was not really prepared to support myself at the time of the notices,” he said.
Some of the notices served by the parents read:
“After a discussion with your Mother, we have decided you must leave this house immediately. You have 14 days to vacate. You will not be allowed to return. We will take whatever actions are necessary to enforce this decision.”
Another notice served on February 13, granted Michael 30 days to move out or they would begin enforcement procedures.
Five days later, in another note, the parents offered some advice and a cash gift of $1,100 to help him find a new place to live.
During the hearing on Tuesday, Rotondo who represented himself cited the case of Kosa v. Legg: “that there is ‘Common law requirement of six-month notice to quit before tenant may be removed through ejectment action.”
But New York State Supreme Court Judge Donald Greenwood disagreed saying: “I’m granting the eviction,” he said. “I think the notice is sufficient.”
After the court ruling, Rotondo told newsmen that he plans to appeal the ruling.