The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), on Thursday dispelled rumours of postponement of the Sept. 10 governorship election in Edo.
Mr Solomon Soyebi, INEC National Commissioner in-charge of Voter Education and Publicity, said during a press conference held at INEC’s office in Benin, that “the governorship election will go ahead on Saturday, Sept. 10 as scheduled.’’
Soyebi, who said INEC as the body statutorily set up to conduct elections in the country, would not take orders from any institution with regard to the performance of its constitutional duties.
“We have therefore weighed all the consequences of a postponement in the election and have resolved to go ahead with the conduct of the election on Saturday as scheduled,’’ he said.
Recall that following security report on the Election, INEC went into consultation whether or not to shift the election date.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said it has begun consultation on the fate of Saturday’s governorship election in Edo, following calls for its postponement over security threat.
Mr Nick Dazang, Deputy Director of Voter Education and Publicity at INEC, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Abuja.
The Police and the Department of State Services (DSS) had earlier on Wednesday advised the commission to postpone the election over planned attacks in some communities in the state and others by suspected insurgents.
The Force Spokesman, Don Awunah, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, raised the alarm at a joint news conference by the police and the DSS in Abuja.
He said that “credible intelligence available to the agencies indicated plans by insurgent and extremist elements to attack vulnerable communities and soft targets’’.
Awunah said that Edo was among the states earmarked for the planned attacks by the extremists between Sept. 12 and Sept. 13.