By Olawale Jokotoye
Saturday’s local government polls in Ogun state, should be cancelled, according to a factional Chairman of the PDP, Sikirulai Ogundele, and his Labour Party counterpart, Mr Abayomi Arabambi.
Ogundele and Arabambi made the call in Abeokuta while reacting to the conduct of the election into the 20 local government councils and the 37 newly created LCDAs in the state.
Ogundele said the cancellation had become necessary because the exercise was characterised by violence and irregularities.
The PDP chieftain alleged that there were many reported cases of ballot box snatching as well as other logistic challenges across the state..
He also claimed that a PDP supporter, identified as Goodluck, who was trying to prevent ballot snatching, was shot in the chest at one of the polling centres at Ilara Remo in Remo North Council Area
The Chairman said that the victim was already receiving treatment at Babcock University Teaching Hospital in Remo Council Area.
Ogundele also alleged that there were reports of sporadic shootings at Orile-Ilugun area in Odeda council area resulting from clashes between rival parties.
He said Ogun State Independent Electoral Commission (OGISIEC) also created additional polling centres, particularly in strongholds of the APC, without the prior knowledge of opposition parties.
Arabambi, on his part, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the party had no confidence in the conduct of the poll.
“ The state electoral agency has de-listed our party and therefore denied us from participating in the poll,’’ the chairman said.
The Labour Party chairman further said that the party had already filed a suit against OGISIEC and would follow the case to a logical conclusion.
The 2015 Governorship candidate of the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) in Ogun, Mr Rotimi Paseda, also expressed dissatisfaction with the conduct of the poll, describing it as “ a deceit.’’
Paseda, who spoke at his Omu residence in Odogbolu Local Government Council after the voting exercise, said that election materials were not sufficient.
He said they had to travel to Odogbolu to request for more materials.
“We cannot do anything else except to make our voices heard and show our dissatisfaction.
“As far as we in the UPN are concerned, this local government election has not been credible.
“Some of our candidates have been getting video reports to prove the irregularities and that is what we will take to court later.
“If we cannot get judgment in court, we will abide by the rule of law, but there is a public opinion court, and that is where we are going to meet.
“We will ensure that we post the video recordings all over the social media and as long as they are embarrassed, it is enough for us,” he said.